Wednesday 8 June 2011

CBD lunches: Yu-u

137 Flinders Lane (entry in Oliver Lane opposite Coda)

This week I caught up for lunch at Yu-u on Flinders Lane with a friend who had recently returned from a stint in Sydney. Yu-u is one of those quintessentially Melbourne venues with its unsigned entrance in a graffittied laneway that one can only enter after ringing a doorbell. Clearly it was the logical choice for cleansing my friend of the shiny Sydney filth. 

Yu-u is a popular destination for its reasonably priced lunch set menu ($18.5). Choices include vegetarian, sashimi and different meat options. We started with a small jug of warm sake, the name of which I neglected to document. It was a perfect choice for an extremely chilly Melbourne day. 


I ordered the sashimi set, while my dining companion ordered the pork. Both sets included hot soup with cabbage and carrot, perfect for a freezing day. They also had a yummy seaweed salad that was suitably flavoured with sesame, and pickled cabbage and carrots that combined sweetness with crunchy piquancy. As an accompaniment to my sashimi, I chose the seasoned rich, which was subtly flavoured with mushroom and of a similar texture to Chinese sticky rice. The sashimi was super fresh and included salmon, salmon belly, tuna and kingfish. 


The pork dish was a delicious combination of thinly sliced pork with a savoury ginger sauce, served on some type of puree with daikon and a refreshing side salad.


Lunch finished with a refreshing slice of rockmelon.

I’ll definitely be adding Yu-u to my lunch rotation. 

Yu-U on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...